[MPlayer-users] MPlayer and XviD (aka OpenDivX)

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Fri Dec 7 14:09:46 CET 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Alban Bedel wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > just a little question....
> >
> > has anyone tried to use mplayer with XviD (www.videocoding.de) which ist
> > a more actual OpenDivX codec and
> > has (rumbling) better performance?
> >
> > kr,
> > Reinhard
>
> Yes, but only at their early beginning. It was working with most
> (not all) of the div4 file
> I had. But in this time there were no support for div3, so it
> wasn't very useful for me.
> Thank you very much I lost this adress and was wondering who
> I can find it.

If not www.videocoding.de then try www.xvid.org, that might be easiest to
remember :-)

At the moment, XviD encoder is faster and of better quality than DivX4.
The decoder is not much of a difference to OpenDivX, except for
speed optimizations. However, there is a new XviD-decoder being born
these days, based on the routines from the encoder. It may take a few days
until it's finished. Then the _real_ release is about to take place, with
sources for a complete XviD-Library with it's own API. However it's still
also going to be compatible with DivX4. Maybe that's going to be the right
time for adding support to mplayer/mencoder?

There will be no support for divx3.11 in near future, unless somebody
whose experienced in this "format" gives us very concrete tips how to
implement.

I would be interested in the div4-files that did not play with XviD.
You still have any of these around?

gruel

Christoph H. Lampert, gruel at web.de