[MPlayer-users] incredibly slow... why ?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Dec 3 22:21:55 CET 2001

Hi,

> > I compiled Mplayer cvs from today, but the playback is incredibly slow,
> > whether using x11, xv, dga, sdl or dxr3 plugins.
> > Any clue ?
> As mentioned, this is usually an audio problem. This is because mplayer
> uses some advanced sounddriver functions to sync audio and video.

yes.
OSS specs mention GETODELAY and such functions at appendix, at 'advanced oss
programming' part. I think some driver author never read it and of course
never implemented it. So they return false values and it break mplayer's
a-v sync and timing. Note that these functions aren't used by multithreaded
players (avifile,xine) nor audio-only players (xmms, mpg13 etc).
So these drivers seem to work well until they meet some application
(mplayer) which uses these advanced functions.

> Try different audio out drivers (-ao help will show a list).
> Alexander Werth

-ao sdl usually helps, as it uses callback-based playback code with FIFO
buffer instead of getodelay and similar methods.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu