[MPlayer-users] Can't frontend mplayer?

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards larwe at larwe.com
Mon Dec 3 17:53:49 CET 2001

Hallo!

I'm developing a multimedia frontend program, and I wanted to be able to
let the user use mplayer (if installed) as one of the backends. However I
can't seem to build a commandline and call mplayer from within my own
program! For example, this simple program:

#include <stdlib.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
system("/usr/local/bin/mplayer -vo null -quiet -framedrop
/mymediafiles/fred.mpg >/test.log");
return 0;
}

Examining test.log (from the above) shows that mplayer parses the mpg file
OK and gets as far as starting to play, but crashes everything (the
keyboard is locked up, and I can't Ctrl-Alt-Backspace out of X, can't
switch to another terminal, but the OS is still running underneath - I can
connect via ftp). If I run mplayer from an xterm with the identical command
line it works fine!

Can someone try the above program, of course replacing the path with some
video file on your own system, and see if it is possible? Or maybe offer
some suggestion as to why it behaves so strangely? :)