[Mplayer-users] Fast-forward causing A/V de-sync

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Aug 31 19:17:56 CEST 2001

Hi,

> On Friday 31 August 2001 05:29, you wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 03:55:05AM -0700, Richard Mosquera wrote:
> > > have you tried -bps ?
> >
> > Yes... it seems to make no difference. With or without it, all movies
> > run fine all the way to the end if I don't touch the FF/RW controls, but
> > lose sync pretty badly when I used them.
> >
> I have some avis giving me the same problems; but i think (haven't checked it
> out yet) it has to do with a bad encoding of the avi, i mean:
> i think that happens when the mp3 is encoded in VBR (which is normally not
> allowed in a divx, but some poeple use it)
Yes. It's possible.
VBR mp3 avis made with NanDub or other "perfect" tools are playable and
seekable with mplayer, but many programs (including VirtualDub) creates
bad files if using vbr mp3. They are playable (with -mc 0 -> to disable
a-v sync correction) but you can't seek.

AVI file format allows VBR audio (same way as VBR video), but it is not
in the specs directly. Anyway, most players can play it, so some new tool
like Nandub can create such files.
Unfortunatelly most encoders think that your mp3 is constant rate (it can't
check it) so multiplex AVI with constant audio header and interleaving.

> Could you check it out?
upload.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu