[Mplayer-users] Too slow playback, how to estimate speed gap?

Dariusz Pietrzak dariush at ajax.umcs.lublin.pl
Tue Aug 28 21:54:45 CEST 2001

> Petri J. Riipinen <petri.riipinen at nic.fi> wrote:
> > The reason is, that I can upgrade the CPU to a faster one but before I pick
> > the faster model, I really would like to have some estimate whether the
> > next fastest CPU (600MHz) is enough or should I pick even faster one.
>
> Or you could do what most of us do: wait until the coders optimize the code
good point - try -odivx and -ffdivx, these changed my system from barely
usable with 640x480 divxs to quite enjoyable and perfectly usable with
720xsth.
 And if -framedrop is enough for you that I suspect that nothing more then
5%-20% increase in processor speed would be enough.
 But it is possible that you're hitting some bus speed limit, not
processors speed limit ( as happens with amd k6-2 procs ). And with that
it's not as simple as changing your cpu. video card can be a bottleneck.

hmm.. you could also try playing with compiler options, like trying
different -mcpu=, i suspect i386 would be best for crusoe, but it was said
that gcc has best sheduler for i686 and mplayer uses that instead of k6
for duron/athlon procs. Or are there any transmeta-optimising compilers?

--
Dariusz Pietrzak