[Mplayer-users] Buggy hardware

Tony Clark tclark at telia.com
Fri Aug 24 22:10:36 CEST 2001

Just thought I would share a problem I have just resolved.  It may help
someone else.

A while ago I started playing with mplayer but was getting a lot of strange
faults from application crashing to complete system hangs.  System
instability was only caused by video applications and in particular mplayer.
videolan was almost stable (the application would just die sometimes, no
system lock ups) and xine was usable though the timing seemed a little out.
For all other applications the system was rock stable and no amount of stress
testing would make it crash.  The motherboard was an Iwill KK266 (Kt133A
chipset) with latest bios.  I decided to use the crashing as an excuse to get
a new DDR motherboard. :-)  I've just replaced the motherboard, updated
mplayer from CVS, compiled and played the first movie without any problem
relating to stability.

>From a system software perspective, I can say, at least in my case the
following configuration is stable and works reasonably well.

XFree 4.1 using nv driver.  I've also tested with nvidia driver and that was
ok as well.
gcc2.96 ( Latest mandrake version)
kernel 2.4.9

I've tested the following hardware without problems
Nvidia Gforce2 Ultra and MX
soundblaster live
Abit K7A M/B (KT133A)
Soltek SL-75DRV M/B(Via DDR chipset)

Now to try and get the Iwill motherboard replaced under warranty :(

--
Tony Clark
ASIC, FGPA and Digital Design