[Mplayer-users] Subfont renderer is ready!

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Aug 14 13:45:57 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > About the OSD font:
> > could you change the progress bar symbols to be much narrower?
> > the width of . and | symbols should be equal to it's spacing, then it look good.
>
> This is not the font problem. That's because mplayer doesn't respect `charspace' for OSD
> symbols.
It is not true. At least there is no code to infect charspace depending on
char code.

> With default settings subfont gives charspace==-8. That's quite a lot.
It's to handle alpha map (as the char width with alpha is 8 pixel wider
then the character itself)

> Three solutions:
>   - handle this as a special case with subfont
>   - modfiy mplayer to treat all characters equally (other existing progress bar sybmols
> would be 3 pixels narrower)
it handles them equally.

>   - extend font.desc syntax: use four numbers to describe each character:
>       + character bitmap start
>       + character bitmap end
>       + character origin
>       + character width
>      Bitmap can be wider than character width because of blurs, outlines or character
> shape.
yes, i agree. and also we could add vertical bitmap start,end and origin.

of course the bitmap start must be 8-pixel aligned then (for mmx).

>      This would allow to throw away some black pixels, make *.raw files over 10% smaller
> and processing faster.
maybe.

can you implement it in subfont?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team