[Mplayer-users] AVI seek, VBR, NI

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Aug 11 03:00:24 CEST 2001

Hi,

I've almost rewritten the AVI seeking code.
Now it supports VBR audio too (both interleaved and non-interleaved).

NI seeking is improved, no useless frame/audio skip used -> faster.

I've also fixed -bps timing method for VBR audio, so you can use
bps=1 by default. I suggest adding this line to the config file.

If you have a stream with A-V sync problems, please try the
combinations of -ni and -bps options, if none variation helps,
contact me (and upload file).
Of course, don't report it if you have too slow system (drop frame
counter is increasing) to play it without A-V sync problems.

NI detection is still a problem.
Currently it checks the index, and if the streams are too far, it
enables NI mode. Or you can force NI mode by using the -ni option.

Another possible way for detection would be using the dwFlags
field of the header. if it has IS_INTERLEAVED bit set, we can assume
it's really interleaved (not sure, i have badly interleaved stream
with this bit set...) else enable NI mode.
Note: NI can be the default, if you have system fast enough. Everything
is playable in NI mode, but it has 2 file reading thread, while mplayer
uses single buffered thread for interleaved streams. So it may cause
little more I/O time spent by mplayer compared to interleaved mode.
(but it is not recommended if playing from CDROM or stdin or net)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu