[Mplayer-users] MPlayer on sparc,

Christoph Lampert lampert at math.chalmers.se
Sat Aug 11 01:41:43 CEST 2001

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Dariusz Pietrzak wrote:

[...]
> cpu is detected as v8,
> but how about this line:
> gcc -MM -O4  -mcpu=v8 -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -I. -I..
> -I../libmpeg2 -I/usr/local/include -D_DECORE -DO_BINARY=0 -DLINUX
> postprocess.c basic_prediction.c decore.c getbits.c idct.c mp4_block.c
> mp4_decoder.c mp4_header.c mp4_mblock.c mp4_picture.c mp4_predict.c
> mp4_recon.c mp4_vld.c 1>.depend
>
> especially -DLINUX thing, where did it come from?
> without it in opendivx I get errors like this:

-DLINUX is normal for opendivx, it's just the only alternative to WIN32.

> I'm quite puzzeled now, is sparc supported or not?
>  ( mpeg works fine, but it works even with some solaris-specific tools )

So, I can say for sure:

There is at least ONE machine running Solaris on Sparc, that plays
DivX with ffdivx video and MP3 audio. That's the SUN here in front of me.
I tried around 10 files (it's a working machine normally), and never had
any problems. And I'm quite happy about it.

I compile Mplayer without extra option the first time, and now again 2
hours ago I had to #define LIBAVCODEC or what it's called in config.h
Just plain ./configure and gmake
I did not change any source code, neither mplayer nor libavcodec.
mplayer was CVS from today, libavcodec was from August 3rd (still included
in mplayer then)

Only change was vc=ffdivx and ao=sun  in config-file.

So I don't think there is a big/small endian problem with ffdivx, and if,
then only in the very latest version.

gruel

 fpversion output

 A SPARC-based CPU is available.
 CPU's clock rate appears to be approximately 428.9 MHz.
 Kernel says CPU's clock rate is 440.0 MHz.
 Kernel says main memory's clock rate is 110.0 MHz.

 Sun-4 floating-point controller version 0 found.
 An UltraSPARC chip is available.
 FPU's frequency appears to be approximately 403.1 MHz.

configure-output
You can get detailed help on configure with: ./configure --help
Please wait while ./configure discovers your software and hardware
environment!
Detected operating system: SunOS
Detected host architecture: sparc
Checking version of gcc ... 2.95.3, ok
GL includes not found!
DivX4Linux includes (decore.h) not found!
Checking assembler (/usr/pd/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/bin/as) ... , ok
Install prefix: /usr/local
Data directory: /usr/local/share/mplayer
Optimizing to ... v8
Screen size ... 1x1
Checking for X11 libs ... -L/usr/X11/lib
Checking for X11 headers ...
Checking mga_vid device ... no
Checking for xmga ... no
Checking for SDL ... no