[Mplayer-users] howto DVD rip on Linux

Leandro Lucarella luca at lucarella.com.ar
Fri Aug 10 07:21:43 CEST 2001

El Thu, 9 Aug 2001 18:33:18 +0200 (MET DST) Christoph Lampert <lampert at math.chalmers.se> escribió:

CL> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Arpi wrote:
CL>
CL> > Hi,

CL> > And in general? Not only free soft...
CL> > It isn't big problem to use for example l3codeca.acm for encoding.
CL> > (afaik it's used by windows rippers)
CL>
CL> If I remember correctly, Lame is good for high bitrates and for VBR, but
CL> for low (I guess, movies get rather <128kbps bitrate than higher) Fraunhofer
CL> was superior, there. But its VBR is bad. :-(
CL> We should check for this "MP3pro" stuff. This was designed for lower
CL> bitrates, so it might be interesting.

As I remember, Fraunhofer is supposed to be the best encoder in general
terms , but lame offers a great quality, you can barely notice the
difference...
I found some comparisson liks in lame's page:
http://www.r3mix.net
http://www.hispamp3.com/bench/index.htm (I think this one is only in
spanish, not sure)

--