[Mplayer-users] What license is MPlayer under?

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Fri Apr 27 11:14:12 CEST 2001

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 03:33:51AM -0500, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > 	After reading the MPlayer 0.17a announce in freshmeat I wonder
> > what license does mplayer use? In the freshmeat entry for mplayer it says
> > that it is Other/Propietary License with Source, but in the SourceForge
> > page they said that it is GPL. Both entries seem to be by A'rpi/ESP-team
> > so I'm really puzzled.
>
> Our code is GPL. Included libraries and code parts from other projects like
> xanim, opendivx, avifile, libmpeg2, xine has different license.
> So it has no a general license yet.

Yes ;-( Maybe it would be very difficult to put mplayer under a single license.
Maybe licenses conflicts and mplayer should be considered as an illegal stuff :)
We're searching for people to check licenses and try to ask authors of different
sources can be found in mplayer to allow to have a signle license for mplayer
(GNU/GPL would be the best of course).

- Gabor

--
 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!