[Mplayer-users] What license is MPlayer under?

mgraffam at idsi.net mgraffam at idsi.net
Fri Apr 27 09:24:17 CEST 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, German Gomez Garcia wrote:

> 	After reading the MPlayer 0.17a announce in freshmeat I wonder
> what license does mplayer use? In the freshmeat entry for mplayer it says
> that it is Other/Propietary License with Source, but in the SourceForge
> page they said that it is GPL. Both entries seem to be by A'rpi/ESP-team
> so I'm really puzzled.

I was puzzled about it a bit myself, until I read a bit of stuff on the
pages and looked at the code.

Mplayer is comprised of code from a lot of different projects, each with
their own licensing quirks and oddities. It would take a team of legal
geniuses to figure out exactly what sort of licensing Mplayer really
falls under, IMO.

As Mplayer grows and gains popularity, I'm sure this will get sorted out
sooner or later.

--
Michael Graffam (mgraffam at idsi.net)
The importance of a suburban struggle has usually been underestimated;