[Mplayer-users] Clicking/pausing/generally bad sound

Emma Tonkin etonkin at tirin.openworld.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 01:48:00 CEST 2001

Hi,

I downloaded the latest CVS (and one other) of mplayer and compiled each
one in order to see how they worked. The video worked perfectly,
particularly with the fbdev, but for some obsecure reason the audio fails
to do so. I have tried both pcm and mp3 sound, which both give more or
less the same result (it's kind of like the sound you get when you try
playing mp3s in stereo on a 486, ie, jerky). I've also tried changing the
select() define in config.h. I wondered if it wasn't something to do with
buffer sizes and so on, but I'm not an expert so can't tell... Oh, and
I've also tried 44 and 48000hz sound and they both do the same thing- it's
as if somehow the sound just isn't getting its fair share of resources.

The system I'm running it on is a Pentium 3 800 MHz, 128megs ram, Trident
sound (it's a laptop) and uses framebuffer all round since the only
official drivers for the SIS graphics card just caused endless
snowcrashes. However, the graphics looks perfect... it's just the sound,
although maybe the framebuffer uses additional resources. I have tried
simply nice -n -19 mplayer but it seems to make no difference.

Oh, and if I use -vo null, it displays the sound on all the avi files
perfectly well, leaving me feeling that perhaps it needs to have the
priority on sound decoding set rather higher... sadly, I don't know how to
do this ;-)

Thanks,

Em