[Mplayer-users] font bitmap format?

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Tue Apr 10 17:45:47 CEST 2001

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 11:44:07PM -0500, Arpi wrote:

> what we need?
> - 256 color greyscaled image
> - possibly uncompressed, or very easy & fast & small decompressor
> - lossless!
> - supported by common image manipulation programs (gimp,xv,photoshop,psp...)

Maybe the old Portable GrayMap (PGM) as used by the old Pbmplus or
Netpbm as it's known now? The format is text-like, just a few header
lines and then the data straight up, every byte is one pixel. It doesn't
get much simpler than that. At least xv supports the format, I'd assume
gimp does too.

Then again, would it be possible to use X fonts somehow? That would
avoid the need to draw fonts...