[Mplayer-users] mplayer 4/3/2001 CVS snapshot feedback

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Apr 6 18:10:07 CEST 2001

Hi,

> Just some feedback on this snapshot vs the previous (3/17) one I tried:
>
> 1) The MJPG and I263 CODECs barely work for me. They have an initial
> delay, and are then slow and VERY jerky. The Intel I263 CODEC actually
> also supports I420 (a planar YUV) format, and if you add this to
> codecs.c it works, but is also VERY slow (even although this is a very
> simple decode).
There should be something wrong at your system. It's very fast (eats 2% cpu)
for me.

> 2) The new -vo dga VidMode extension switching works very well in 24bpp,
> but oddly it has has changed what does/doesn't work in 16bpp. Previously
> with -vo dga I could play MPEG's in 16bpp, but not DivX AVI's, but now
> that has been reversed! Is it possible that VidMode switches to a
> different color depth as well as resolution?
The DGA guys will answer this. :)

> 3) -vo fsdga continues to be quite bizarre... DivX's play in a tiny
> "window" in the center of the screen (whereas -vo dga uses VidMode and
> they are almost full screen), and MPEGs play full screen but
> unbelievably slowly (2-3 fps?) whereas -vo dga (with VidMode switching)
> plays them perfectly at full speed almost full screen.
fsdga is for mpeg only (see readme,faq).
and it's full software, even without any assembly. so it requires
a very fast machine. on my P3-900Mhz it's slow in 1024x768, and eats
80% cpu in 800x600 playing mpeg1 files. it's a skeleton code, or sample
implementation, someone should rewrite the interpolators in MMX asm.
Not it's unusable.

> I really prefer to run in 16bpp because I have a relatively slow PC
> (266MHz PII), and it's 2/3 of the pixels to move around vs 24bpp.
try 15bpp, it works with dga.

> P.S. I'm not a member of the list - any response via e-mail please!
argh!

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu