[Mplayer-users] OSD & .sub support in MPlayer

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Wed Apr 4 05:07:11 CEST 2001

Hi,

We got lots of mails related to $SUBJ last days. So I must tell some facts:

The "official" status: There is no OSD or .sub support in MPlayer yet.

If you find something looks like that, then you are very lucky,
and found some test code. Please wait until we finish the code, don't
send bugreports related to unfinished/unimplemented things!

Unfortunately Gabucino announced it on the homepage (News section) as
a working code, but it was a mistake, it's far from being finished!!!

Status of current osd/sub modules:
- OSD bitmap+font renderer: only a few vo drivers support it, and
  only at a few special bpp (24/32bpp only). we are working on this,
  more bpp and driver support coming soon (or later)
- fonts: they are not finished. the first usable font is mp_font1.zip
  at our FTP site, but there are chars still missing from it.
  (and only english+hungarian chars supported)
- .sub file reader: it's in beta state, at least it works, but not
  yet heavily tested. no support for XML/HTML-like files (yet).
- sub control (sub+video sync): it's a 10-minute hack (for testing other
  codes), not really written yet. I'll do that soon.
- osd control: not written yet. now it displays time and position at
  seeking. can't disable. other options like brightness, volume, etc.
  don't work yet. function display works only at play/rew/fwd, no pause etc.

When this code reach the alpha (beta?) state, we'll announce it.
Until it happens, there is no sub/osd, just some under-development testing code.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu