[MPlayer-translations] r28597 - trunk/DOCS/man/ru/mplayer.1

Andrew Savchenko bircoph at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 02:50:57 CET 2009

Hi,

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 00:27, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 04:42:58PM +0100, bircoph wrote:
> > Log:
> > Change man page encoding from KOI8-R to UTF-8.
>
> Wait a moment, does this work?  Last I checked, groff did not
> support UTF-8 input...

I tested before commiting this change ;-). It works OK on both
Fedora and Gentoo. Most modern distros now support UTF-8 for man
pages, though through a different ways: afaik Fedora and Debian
use patched groff, Gentoo utilizes -D option in modern groff (this
invokes preconv shipped with groff, at least as of groff-1.20.1).

Moreover even rather old Fedora (groff-1.18.1.1, 17th Jan 2006)
complains about koi8-r in man pages: "WARNING: old character
encoding and/or character set" whilst it is OK with unicode.

And the last but not the least. Before making any changes I asked
Vladimir (he is maintainer or Russian docs) whether this ok or not
(via a private mail), he approved this idea.

--
Best regards,
Andrew