[MPlayer-mirror] Virtual hosting requirement

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Wed Sep 26 07:04:06 CEST 2007

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:52:54AM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
>> Since I upgraded the hosting plan for multimedia.cx a few months ago, I
>> would like to put the absurd limits to good use. To that end, I would
>> like to help mirror mphq.
>>
>> Reading through the HOWTO on the matter, my top concern is whether it is
>> absolutely required to add new virtual hosts to the web server? I don't
>> know if I can do that with my host.
>
> Do you want to mirror FTP or WWW?
>
> Without virtual hosts it is a bit pointless since much of the traffic is
> generated by the DNS round-robin mirrors, i.e. www.mplayerhq.hu and
> ftp.mplayerhq.hu...

Everything has to go through my cPanel console. I have something called
parked domains:

'Domain pointers allow you to "point" or "park" additional domain names
to your existing hosting account.'

'Domains must be registered with a valid registrar before they can be
parked. In addition, they will not be functional unless they are
configured to point to your DNS servers.'

--
	-Mike Melanson