[MPlayer-matrox] Loading the mga_vid module

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Jan 18 08:38:22 CET 2007

Moin,

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:44:04 +0100
markus.hiereth at freenet.de wrote:

> they appear only after loading mga_vid by typing
> modprobe mga_vid
>
> I thought starting mplayer would initiate some process which loads the module automatically?

No, the behaviour you want is that of devfs which was
thrown out of the kernel quite long ago. udev receives
from the kernel data which hardware is available. But
therefor the kernel needs to know what hardware it can
support for which the driver is needed.

Ie, you need to add the mga_vid module to the list
of modules that should be loaded at system boot
(/etc/modules on my debian).

			Attila Kinali

                         -- Deed of Morred