[MPlayer-matrox] Weird problem with a G400 - shows only junk through mga_vid

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Sep 18 11:17:02 CEST 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:49:14 +0300
Mikko Nahkola <mnahkola at elisanet.fi> wrote:

> I seem to be having problems with this thing. It just doesn't work
> despite claiming to - no errors or even warnings, that is. It's just
> that the output is all junk.

Ok, first question, where did you get mga_vid from ?

> For example, running mga_vid_test, I get a multicoloured flickering
> rectangle (looks like TV static, sort of) instead of green in 1), and it
> doesn't change at all going to 2) and 3). Trying to play real video,
> similar results. X and text console work just fine, and come back
> properly after trying the video thing too.

Sounds wierd.

> Should the mga_vid_base address be the same as something that lspci
> reports? If so, how do I make them be same, they aren't now..? I can't
> seem to make the module take any arguments (the Linux 2.4 way doesn't
> work anymore or something?)...

No, it should be just within the memory range of the card that
lspci reports.

> Any ideas about where to look next? Disabling udev looks a bit hairy on
> Gentoo but what about the console framebuffer layer, should I try with
> that enabled? I have tried with and without X running already, that
> didn't change anything (there's "VideoRam 8192" in the X config.)

udev would not cause something like this. I rather supect that
the wrong memory range got overwritten.

What i need from you is:
1) mplayer -v log
2) the messages mga_vid writes to klog (see dmesg)
3) what mga_vid version you use and where you got it from

			Attila Kinali

--
心をこめて聞け心をこめて話せ