[MPlayer-matrox] /dev/mga problem on debian unstable and kernel 2.6.13.3

Michael Späth kilroy at uni-koblenz.de
Tue Oct 11 23:30:43 CEST 2005

Hello!

> Similar problem here.
> mplayer -v film.avi
>
> gives as last 3 lines:
>
>    vo_mga: Couldn't open /dev/mga_vid
>
>    uninit audio: libmad
>    vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not inited..
>
> But permissions of /dev/mga are correct and user has group access
> to /dev/mga:
>
> $ lal /dev/mga_vid
> crw-rw----  1 root video 178, 0 2005-09-08 14:13 /dev/mga_vid
> $ groups
> grfz disk lp kmem dialout cdrom floppy audio dip src video staff games users

I think its just the wrong major number. When I do:

ll /dev/mga_vid
crw-rw----  1 root root 83, 0 Oct  9 23:46 /dev/mga_vid

[83 <--> 178]

Do:
  rm -f /dev/mga_vid
  mknod /dev/mga_vid c 83 0

and it will probably work for you. Or remove mga_vid and apply the udev
patch if you have udev, then udev can set proper permissions
automatically upon inserting the module...

--
Sincerly
  Michael