[MPlayer-matrox] Weird problem with a G400 - shows only junk through mga_vid

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Oct 11 09:49:39 CEST 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:31:16 +0300
Mikko Nahkola <mnahkola at elisanet.fi> wrote:

> > Ie, could you try to run -vo mga from the console without
> > X running ?
>
> I did. Didn't I send the screenshot already? I took one from that too.
> No luck. ... Hm. Ok, seems I didn't send this yet. Attaching now.

Ok,.. now that's getting strange.

> > BTW: which X server are you using ?
>
> X.org 6.8.2, I think the thing has some Gentoo-specific patches.

I run here a xfree86 4.3 from debian, but i slowly start to doubt
that this is the problem.

> The funny thing is that it occasionally does draw the right image, but
> only when running X and at least _starting_ with some additional load.
> ("nice emerge -update -deep world & mplayer", heh...)

Ok, this is now really getting strange. I cannot think of a
problem, beside memory management that would cause a behaviour like
this.

Hmm.. maybe, the card you have is not able to cope with the full
memory range of the pc. But that would be very strange too,
as the time of 16MB limited devices is long over.

I have to think about a system to test that.
But that will take a while as i'm quite busy these days :(

At least the screenshot you send suggest that the memory
region coppied to the card is something generated as it
shows a very regular pattern. And if the log matches this
screenshot, then the bars would be at a spacing of about 32 pixels
(64bytes) which would also suggest that it's some datastructure.

BTW: does Xv work for you?
It uses a very similar method to mga_vid thus should show
the same behaviour.

> I guess I'll rebuild the old thing as a Windows games box for the kids.
> Got a nice old "Pippi Långstrump" CD that needs something between
> Windows 3.0 and 98SE, for example. (Wine doesn't do _that_ old APIs anyway.)

NO! WAIT! I want that bug nailed down :)

			Attila Kinali