[MPlayer-matrox] Weird problem with a G400 - shows only junk through mga_vid

Mikko Nahkola mnahkola at elisanet.fi
Mon Oct 10 20:31:16 CEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 11:38:25AM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> Moin,
>
> Just a guess, (as i'm still not able to reproduce your problem)
> could it be that your X server is interfering with mga_vid ?

That's what I thought too, right at the start ...

> Ie, could you try to run -vo mga from the console without
> X running ?

I did. Didn't I send the screenshot already? I took one from that too.
No luck. ... Hm. Ok, seems I didn't send this yet. Attaching now.

Could be that this is from the very run from which I took the log too.

> BTW: which X server are you using ?

X.org 6.8.2, I think the thing has some Gentoo-specific patches.

The funny thing is that it occasionally does draw the right image, but
only when running X and at least _starting_ with some additional load.
("nice emerge -update -deep world & mplayer", heh...)

> are you running gnome?

No way on _this_ hardware... I run WindowMaker mostly but did try with
twm too.

> do you run any applications that load large images (like
> background images, Eterm,...) ?

No. I stopped loading background images in about 1994 ;-) after I
did a bit of measuring with and without... and haven't
used them since. Well, on some newish systems (more than a GHz, and at
least half a G of RAM) I haven't bothered to remove the system default
background. But this isn't one of those.

Oh well. This isn't much of a priority any more, after I got the wife a
Thinkpad T30. That one proved easier to tweak into working right. (The
fact that it has several times the CPU and memory _does_ help...)

I guess I'll rebuild the old thing as a Windows games box for the kids.
Got a nice old "Pippi Långstrump" CD that needs something between
Windows 3.0 and 98SE, for example. (Wine doesn't do _that_ old APIs anyway.)

--
Mikko Nahkola <mnahkola at elisanet.fi>