[MPlayer-matrox] Version number incorrect on debian

rtega at wol.be rtega at wol.be
Mon Oct 10 19:50:21 CEST 2005

On 10-10-2005 11:41:07 +0200, Reinaert Albrecht wrote:
> On 10-10-2005 11:32:31 +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:24:40 +0200
> > Reinaert Albrecht <rtega at wol.be> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a kind of stupid problem with the mga_vid sources on debian. I'm using
> > > the debian kernel image and supplied headers to build the packages. Until
> > > recently that was no problem at all. But on 2.6.11 and 2.6.12 that doesn't seem
> > > to work anymore because the build system puts the wrong version number in the
> > > kernel module. This probably has nothing to do with the mga_vid sources but with
> > > the build system in debian. Does anybody have the same problem and found a
> > > solution or any advice as to how to change the kernel build process in order to
> > > make it use the right version number in the kernel modules?
> >
> > Yes, this is because the kernel packages from debian are broken.
> > Instead of copying all needed header files into
> > /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build they symlink it. You need to have
> > the correct kernel source at the place where this symlink is pointing
> > to with the configuration used by the kernel you have running.
>
> Imho I doubt this is the problem. With the version 2.6.8 kernels they used the same
> process and I had no trouble at all. Why's that?

Turns out that you are right on the issue of not working with the 2.6 series.
But the reason why it wouldn't load the module on my system had to do with the
fact that the version number was incorrect in include/linux/version.h and that I
didn't use the gcc version my kernel was compiled with. Now I have a module that
loads but that's no use. It seems to work correctly upto showing the following:

Matrox MGA G200/G400/G450/G550 YUV Video interface v2.01 (c) Aaron Holtzman & A'rpi
mga_vid: Found MGA G400/G450 at 0000:01:00.0
mga_vid: MMIO at 0xe0d18000 framebuffer: 0xE2000000
mga_vid: OPTION word: 0x400A1160  mem: 0x04  SDRAM
mga_vid: detected RAMSIZE is 16 MB
mga_vid: 1 supported cards found
mga_vid: using major: 83 (assigned or default!)

My /dev/mga_vid shows the following:
crw-r--r--  1 root root 83, 0 Oct 10 19:37 /dev/mga_vid

so everything should work if i'm not mistaken.

Anybody any ideas?

Reinaert

--
Reinaert Albrecht