[MPlayer-matrox] Version number incorrect on debian

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Oct 10 11:32:31 CEST 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:24:40 +0200
Reinaert Albrecht <rtega at wol.be> wrote:

> I have a kind of stupid problem with the mga_vid sources on debian. I'm using
> the debian kernel image and supplied headers to build the packages. Until
> recently that was no problem at all. But on 2.6.11 and 2.6.12 that doesn't seem
> to work anymore because the build system puts the wrong version number in the
> kernel module. This probably has nothing to do with the mga_vid sources but with
> the build system in debian. Does anybody have the same problem and found a
> solution or any advice as to how to change the kernel build process in order to
> make it use the right version number in the kernel modules?

Yes, this is because the kernel packages from debian are broken.
Instead of copying all needed header files into
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build they symlink it. You need to have
the correct kernel source at the place where this symlink is pointing
to with the configuration used by the kernel you have running.

My advice is to build your own kernel package (use make-kpkg from
kernel-package) and keep the kernel sources at some common place
(like /usr/src/).

			Attila Kinali