[MPlayer-matrox] G550 and TV out

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Nov 8 16:11:04 CET 2005

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 17:07:44 +0100
Vladimir Stojkovic <vladastojkovic at gmx.de> wrote:

> > I do not see how this should work with vidix, especialy as the kernel
> > patch is totaly unrelated to how vidix works. Vidix accesses the graphics
> > card directly, the same way as mga_vid does (actualy it's a port of
> > mga_vid to the vidix interface).
>
> 	I have mga_crtc2_vid.so in /usr/lib/mplayer/vidix directory, so I've assumed
> that it is related to second head and can be used for tv out. However, you
> said that mga vidix libraries are nothing else but mga_vid ported for vidix
> interface.

Oh, i was not aware that they had still the crt2 code in there.
I removed the crt2 code from mga_vid when i ported it to linux 2.6
as it was never really working according to Arpi who developed it.
I must admit that i haven't had a look at the vidix code for
a very long time.

> On the other side, I've found in the documentation that porting
> crtc2 code (from dfbmga) to mga_vid has been planned for years, but haven't
> found anything about the progress.

Uh.. i neither had the time to look at dfbmga. Yes, shame on me.

> So, I can conclude that still there is no
> way to have functional X during video playback on tv. Am I right?

No idea. As i said, i do not own a TV, thus i never really
cared about TV-out.

> > IIRC there is a whole section in the MPlayer documentation on how
> > to get TV-Out with matrox cards, did you had a look at that?
> > (No, i've never tried it myself as i do not own a TV)
> > Also the Mailinglist archives on gmane might help.
>
> 	Believe me, I've searched Internet twice, red mplayer documentation a couple
> of times, red gmane mailinglist and haven't found what I'm searching for. It
> is written in the documentation that use of framebuffer is the only way to
> get tv out for Matrox G450/G550. However, that howto is last updated in
> September 2003.

Believe me, the mga code didnt change in the last 3 years much.
It didnt even change at all in the last 2 years, so you can safely
assume that the howto is still valid.

The more i deal with mga_vid and its problems, i get to the
conclusion that a truly openly documented graphics card is
a must have for the OSS community as otherwise we will run
out of graphics output devices is in the near future.
I hope, that the open graphics project will be a success.

			Attila Kinali

--
wer soviel schoggi isst, kann sowieso nicht dumm sein ;-)
		-- Sandra