[MPlayer-matrox] G550 and TV out

Vladimir Stojkovic vladastojkovic at gmx.de
Sun Nov 6 17:07:44 CET 2005

On Sunday 06 November 2005 10:12, Attila Kinali wrote:
> Moin,
>
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 00:49:03 +0100
>
> Vladimir Stojkovic <vladastojkovic at gmx.de> wrote:
> > 	I've managed to play movie on tv using dfbmga video output, but I'm not
> > quite satisfied with it because I can not use X while playing movie on
> > tv. I've red here
> > http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Configuring_TV_out#MATROX_cards that
> > it is possible to achieve that using vidix output. However, I haven't
> > managed to do that. Is there someone who knows how to make this work? Or,
> > is there some alternative way to have your X functional while you play
> > movie on your tv?
>
> I do not see how this should work with vidix, especialy as the kernel
> patch is totaly unrelated to how vidix works. Vidix accesses the graphics
> card directly, the same way as mga_vid does (actualy it's a port of
> mga_vid to the vidix interface).

	I have mga_crtc2_vid.so in /usr/lib/mplayer/vidix directory, so I've assumed
that it is related to second head and can be used for tv out. However, you
said that mga vidix libraries are nothing else but mga_vid ported for vidix
interface. On the other side, I've found in the documentation that porting
crtc2 code (from dfbmga) to mga_vid has been planned for years, but haven't
found anything about the progress. So, I can conclude that still there is no
way to have functional X during video playback on tv. Am I right?

> IIRC there is a whole section in the MPlayer documentation on how
> to get TV-Out with matrox cards, did you had a look at that?
> (No, i've never tried it myself as i do not own a TV)
> Also the Mailinglist archives on gmane might help.

	Believe me, I've searched Internet twice, red mplayer documentation a couple
of times, red gmane mailinglist and haven't found what I'm searching for. It
is written in the documentation that use of framebuffer is the only way to
get tv out for Matrox G450/G550. However, that howto is last updated in
September 2003.

regards