[MPlayer-matrox] mga_vid directions (was: insmod error)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Mar 10 08:46:15 CET 2005

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:52:18 +0100
"Ferdinand O. Tempel" <ftempel at linuxops.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 09:50 +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> Welp, after a short research session it seems that adding SysFS back in
> is half the battle for getting udev running too, as udev uses the
> information in sysfs (and hotplug events where appropriate) to construct
> its device nodes. That's probably why you couldn't find much about it,
> all the magic lies in correct information in sysfs and a little program
> (udev) to interpret it.

That would explain it. I'll look into that after my exams.

> > Missing here are:
> >
> > * fix all race conditions (i know that there is at least one)
> > * add spinlocks around all critical sections (mostly needed
> >   for smp machines)
> > * add more sanity checks
>
> Scary advanced stuff. I'll leave that to a real developer :P

:)
Don't be scared, these are just a few rules you have to keep
in mind, nothing difficult.

> Okay, so SysFS done properly has a bit of priority as it allows for
> other stuff to happen too. Maybe it's as easy as adding back the sysfs
> support which was already there, but maybe that's too simple. I won't be
> able to play with this for two weeks (lacking the hardware, currently),
> but since I was meaning to look at udev anyway, this seems like a good
> excuse to actually do so.

I'd appreciate if you could do so.

> > > well...the choice is to keep seperate versions around, or again start
> > > using #if's to cater to small changes.
> >
> > Nope, i'm not going to add #if's for older kernel versions.
> > That just makes the code unmaintainable after some time.
>
> Bah, annoying. This is one of the cases where de decisions made by
> kernel developers make it harder for people to maintain out-of-tree
> drivers. Even opensource ones. I wonder if they actually realized that.

Yes, they know it very well, but a fast development of the
kernel has for them first priority. And somewhat i have to
agree. For me it makes it just harder to keep up with it,
though Jonathan Corbet does a good job with listing the changes:
http://lwn.net/Articles/2.6-kernel-api/

				Attila Kinali

--
郷に入れば郷に従え