[MPlayer-matrox] mga_vid for 2.6, first beta

Ferdinand O. Tempel ftempel at linuxops.net
Tue Jan 11 12:02:12 CET 2005

Quoting Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch>:

> Heyo,
>
> I want to first appologize for the long delay, this should have been
> done a long while ago.
>
> I finaly get an mga_vid working for 2.6 kernels, which you can
> get from http://attila.kinali.ch/mga/

Yay!

Good going, I'll be sure to check this out.

> My plans for further development are:
>
> Short term:
> * get dma working
> * fix all race conditions

I had a short look at #1, and it seems to be not trivial. It would be nice to
have though.

> Mid term:
> * udev
> * stronger checking and better fault handling
> * official major/minor
>
> Note the last point, i've requested an official major/minor range
> for mga_vid. Thus this will change somewhen soon (ie as soon as i
> get the range).

Good.

> Devfs is gone, yes, and i don't intend to further support it,
> because it's obsoleted by udev and obfuscates the code.
> I'll also stop further development for older kernel versions,
> but i'll keep them supported for a while.

Hey, I had the exact same ideas! Drop devfs (it's already giving me problems in
2.6.10 due to some API changes). The only reason it was there in the firstplace
was because I'm using devfs myself. Also I wanted to rip out all the legacy
cruft since it too is becoming a maintenance nightmare. #ifdefs and #ifs all
over the place. The 2.6.10 patch I have now probably doesn't even work for older
kernels anymore.

> And last but not least, special thanks go to Ferdinand O. Tempel
> for his work (porting the code) and patience with me.

Hey, we're all busy. I'm glad someone is taking over the stick as this is really
just a side activity for me. I'm an systems administrator, not a developer :-)
I'm not even any good at it.

Thanks, I'll put it through a little testing.

Regards,

Ferdinand O. Tempel