[MPlayer-matrox] mga_vid for 2.6, first beta

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Jan 11 11:37:32 CET 2005

Heyo,

I want to first appologize for the long delay, this should have been
done a long while ago.

I finaly get an mga_vid working for 2.6 kernels, which you can
get from http://attila.kinali.ch/mga/

<standard disclaimer>
Note: This is testing code, it's known to have bugs and may fail
in your case. Don't blame me if your card burns or your dog gets
pregnant, you have been warned.
</standard disclaimer>

What do have here:

It's mga_vid from MPlayer cvs with:
* 2.6 patch from Ferdinand O. Tempel (http://www.linuxops.net/~pw/mga_vid/)
* all cruft code for older kernel versions removed
* unused code (crt2, irq) removed
* devfs removed

As i'll use this code for further development, please test it
and report whether it works for you, what kernel version you are using,
whether SMP and/or preemtible is enabled or not and what card you are
using.

If it doesn't work, please send me the full dmesg output, the .config file
of your kernel and an exact description of the problem.

My plans for further development are:

Short term:
* get dma working
* fix all race conditions

Mid term:
* udev
* stronger checking and better fault handling
* official major/minor

Note the last point, i've requested an official major/minor range
for mga_vid. Thus this will change somewhen soon (ie as soon as i
get the range).

Devfs is gone, yes, and i don't intend to further support it,
because it's obsoleted by udev and obfuscates the code.
I'll also stop further development for older kernel versions,
but i'll keep them supported for a while.

And last but not least, special thanks go to Ferdinand O. Tempel
for his work (porting the code) and patience with me.

					Attila Kinali