[MPlayer-matrox] Compile probs: mga_vid on 2.6.10-1.771_FC2

Barton Bosch bartonbosch at hotpop.com
Thu Apr 14 23:15:18 CEST 2005

Ferdinand O. Tempel wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 12:54 -0700, Barton Bosch wrote:
>
>>The second compiles but appears to install the module in the wrong
>>directory (/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.771_FC2/extra/mga_vid.ko instead of
>>/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.771_FC2/misc/mga_vid.ko) which causes modprobe
>>to be unable to find it.  Fortunately moving it to modprobe's
>>expected directory fixes things.
>

> `depmod -ae` generally fixes that. Just make sure you only have one copy
> of the module in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/*

Ok great, thanks for the pointer.  AFAIR when recompiling mga_vid
this morning, depmod ran automatically as part of the make, make
install process.  I certainly didn't run it as I had never heard of
the depmod command before today (or the difference between 2.4 .o
objects and 2.6 .ko kernel objects for that matter).

>>Anyway, mystery solved and I thought you'd want to know about the
>>FC2 mga_vid installation directory issue and that the other info
>>might possibly be helpful.
>

> I can only conclude that yes, indeed, redhat provided kernels still
> suck.

Heh, from what I gather the RH distros are suboptimal but I'd be
nowhere without an organized, package managed distro of some sort.
After a couple of years I am still just getting a grasp on some of
the sysadmin esoterica as it interferes with my real work(TM).

Attila Kinali wrote:

[...]

 >> mga_vid-2.6.10-2005-01-11.tar.gz
 >> mga_vid-2.6.11-2005-03-06.tar.gz
 >>

 >> The first does not compile smoothly:

 > This is caused by the broken Makefile of the .10 version

Is there any reason not to run the 2.6.11 mga_vid.ko with a 2.6.10
kernel?  IOW, is it worth figuring out how to fix the make file to
have matching release numbers for mga_vid and kernel?

> Hmm ? Did you forget to run depmod -a ? modprobe should find
> the module, no mater where it is as long as it is a sub directory
> of /lib/modules/`uname -r`/

Nope, more of a case of not knowing well enough to run it in the
first place as opposed to forgetting to do so.

Thanks guys, for your contributions to the mplayer/encoder software
and for your lightning quick replies.  Viva free/OS software!

Barton
--
"Concern for man himself and his fate must always be the chief
interest of all technical endeavors.... In order that the creations