[MPlayer-matrox] Compile probs: mga_vid on 2.6.10-1.771_FC2

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Apr 14 22:12:18 CEST 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:54:17 -0700
Barton Bosch <bartonbosch at hotpop.com> wrote:

[...]
> mga_vid-2.6.10-2005-01-11.tar.gz
> mga_vid-2.6.11-2005-03-06.tar.gz
>

> The first does not compile smoothly:

This is caused by the broken Makefile of the .10 version

> The second compiles but appears to install the module in the wrong
> directory (/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.771_FC2/extra/mga_vid.ko instead of
> /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.771_FC2/misc/mga_vid.ko) which causes modprobe
> to be unable to find it.  Fortunately moving it to modprobe's
> expected directory fixes things.

Hmm ? Did you forget to run depmod -a ? modprobe should find
the module, no mater where it is as long as it is a sub directory
of /lib/modules/`uname -r`/

> I probably wouldn't have posted except for the fact that I only
> figured this out as I was double checking my procedure while writing
> this email, heh.  In the process of trying to get this together I
> encountered difficulty connecting to http://attila.kinali.ch/mga/ so
> I tried  a version that someone on the list posted,
> http://flashdance.cx/tmp/mga-vid-2.6.11-2005-03-06.tar.gz (I think).

That's exactly the same version as on my site.

> The only other factors that changed (to my knowledge) were that the
> first time I compiled mga_vid (the flashdance version, oh what a
> feeling <g>) I had yet to compile mplayer or install an mplayer rpm
> on this partition.  Also ldconfig was run a couple of times
> subsequent to the initial mga_vid compile, thinking that it might
> solve modprobe's problems.  Other than that everything's pretty much
> the same.

user space programs (beside insmod&co) do not interfere with
the kernel. not even ldconfig. I guess you forgot to run depmod -a

				Attila Kinali

--
郷に入れば郷に従え