[MPlayer-matrox] Matrox G200 mga_vid_test problem

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Apr 14 09:15:52 CEST 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:11:51 -0500
Paul Novak <pdnovak at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have an old Matrox Milleninium AGP G200 that came with 8MB of memory.
> Afterwards (many years ago),  I bought the 8MB memory expension card
> and installed it in the graphics card to give it 16MB of memory.

Ok

> I am running Slackware 10.1 without the gnome and kde packages installed.
> I have compiled my own 2.4.29 kernel.

Ok

> Xorg -version reports:

mga_vid is totaly unrelated to X. It actualy may interfere with it
in some cases as both directly access the graphics card.

> I ran "insmod mga_vid.o", and checked with dmesg and saw this:
> "mga_vid: detected RAMSIZE is 8 MB", so I ran "rmmod mga_vid" and
> then "insmod mga_vid.o mga_ram_size=16".  dmesg then shows:
>
>     Matrox MGA G200/G400/G450/G550 YUV Video interface v2.01 (c) Aaron Holtzman & A'rpi
>     mga_vid: Found MGA G200 AGP at 01:00.0 [Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200 AGP]
>     mga_vid: MMIO at 0xf2196000 IRQ: 9  framebuffer: 0xDB000000
>     mga_vid: OPTION word: 0x4049CD21  mem: 0x13  SGRAM
>     mga_vid: RAMSIZE forced to 16 MB
>     syncfb (mga): IRQ disabled in mga_vid.c
>     mga_vid: 1 supported cards found

That looks ok.

> I then ran mga_vid_test.  Test 1 (green square) is fine.  When test 2 (cool mosaic
> pattern) is starts, I do not see a "mosaic pattern": I see the results of test 3
> (color blend).  When test 3 starts, the display does not change: I still see
> the color blend.

I do not quite get what you see. Could you elaborate it a little bit ?

And could you also tell me whether you run mga_vid_test on a (framebuffer)
console or in X ?

> Just to see what would happen, I removed mga_vid and re-instered it with
> only 8MB of memory and verified the result with dmesg.  I reran mga_vid_test
> with identical results.  I didn't continue to compile mplayer because I think
> I have something wrong.

Try it anyways. It might be a non-error.

> Should all 3 mga_vid_test tests work for me?  If yes, what did I do wrong and
> what can I do to fix it?

Actualy they should. Though because i lack a PCI G200 i wasn't able
to test the code for it for quite a long time.

					Attila Kinali
--
郷に入れば郷に従え