[Mplayer-matrox] matrox xv BadAlloc()

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Sep 4 05:04:20 CEST 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 10:29:49AM +0200, Patryk wrote:
> Dnia sobota, 28 sierpnia 2004 11:58, Attila Kinali napisa?:
> > On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 02:21:47PM +0200, Patryk wrote:
> > > Description of the problem:
> > Wow! A complete bugreport for a change! Thanks a lot for reading
> > bugreports.html! (no, that's not ironical)
> thx :)
> > Could you please check whether you have a "#define HAVE_SHM 1" in your
> > config.h in the main directory of the source.
> ok I'll try that, what does this option do ?

It is set by the configure script after a check whether shared memory is
available on your system or not. I ask for this because i found a
comment in the xv code that it may not work if there isnt shared memory
available.

> > Otherwise i dont see why this should go wrong, unless the X11 driver is
> > broken, but i doubt that.
> I wrote also to Mplayer-users and someone told me that X11 driver is broken
> and they (X11 devs) are fixing it. I downloaded X11 6.7 from cvs to try this

This would be my second guess, but experiance shows that MPlayer
has some bugs in the xv code and thus it's likely that it's MPlayers
fault rather then the X11 driver. Unless an nvidia card is involved of
course (i've never seen so shitty drivers like the ones from nvidia).

> out but the installation was a little bit complicated. I had problems with
> fonts so I could only use fluxbox.
> Everything was OK with cvs version and fluxbox but when i came back to stable
> version I discovered that stable X11 6.7 also works fine with fluxbox. The
> problem appears only in KDE. I suspect that KDE take more memory from X.

Hmm... This would mean, that KDE stores a lot of fonts and pictures in
the video memory and X cannot free it if needed.... Might be also a bug
in KDE then. Can you try whether small resolution movies (ie stamp size
movies) work ? If so, it's a resource problem on the side of X11 rather
than MPlayer.

			Attila Kinali