[Mplayer-matrox] mga_vid and gamma correction

Peter Zelezny peterzelezny at dodo.com.au
Mon Oct 11 15:12:09 CEST 2004

Hi All,

I searched this list, and the other mplayer lists and only found some
references to gamma-correction in 2002.

I'm hoping something has changed in that time and someone has some clue on
how to implement it?

My monitor requires a correction of 2.5. Using mga_vid, I think it defaults
to 1.0 and the picture is unwatchable, it's so dark I can barely make
anything out.

I've been digging inside the Xfree86 source code to try to find the right
registers to program. No luck so far, I can't seem to find anything useful
by greping for 'gamma' inside drivers/mga/*.

Does someone have reference manuals for the G4/500 series, or know the
hardware registeres for gamma-correction?

I'd really like to implement this, to cut down on CPU usage with '-vo x11'
and simply because mga_vid's brightness/contrast just doesn't cut it.

-Peter.