[Mplayer-matrox] correct permission for /dev/mga_vid

Malte Gell malte.gell at gmx.de
Wed Jun 30 18:31:10 CEST 2004

Hello,
I just installed the mga kernel driver and mga_vid for my G400.
Unfortunately I couldn't play anything.

/dev/mga_vid was set to root:root with permissions 644 so there was not
write access for users.

Since I'm using SuSE Linux there's a group "video" which a user should
belong to, so I did "chown root:video /dev/mga_vid" and "chmod 664 /
dev/mga_vid" and now it works.

To make a long story short, a user who wants to make use of /dev/mga_vid
need write access to mga_vid, right? The HTML documentation hasn't
mentioned this important detail.

Regards
Malte