[MPlayer-G2-dev] Re: Data communication between demuxers and UIs

Fre_ax fre_ax at mbnet.fi
Sat Jan 24 08:40:28 CET 2004

>> > Eh? All of these can be treated as normal files in a playlist. They
>> > all have urls. IMO this can be done very easily for DVB channels
>> > too, and probably should...then some kind of aliasing/playlist
>> > system could sit on top for selecting channels.
>>
>> Hmm. Yeah it should be suitable IMHO.
>> I think DVB playlists wouldnt even need real playlists as saving this
>> "playlist"should get done at demuxer level where reading channels.conf
>> currently takes place.
>
> IMO a demuxer should not read config files itself. This is very bad
> practice.

channels.conf syntax is already pretty widely known and used so it doesnt
fallinto configuration class IMHO.

Its filled with stuff like this:
Das Erste:11837:h:0:27500:101:102
ZDF:11954:h:0:27500:110:120

Well i dont care who reads it but both traditional DVB://<channel name>
playing and
GUI playlist playing need to use same code to avoid duplicated code.

> Instead the DVB playlist code belongs at the playlist level,
> in the player.

I agree. Player as in GUI or UI player or both ?
Because if there will be playlists in low level, problem solved.

> The demuxer should just accept freq/etc. parameters
> from the player.

Yes, but that DVB:// is still there. ;)

Or would it be possible to move libmpdemux/dvb* to somewhere else without
breaking
url playing of DVB channels ?

Or if playlists get to be implemented for command line also...

>> Implementing opendir, readdir, closedir, mkdir, rmdir ... for urls
>> might just do it. Or is it done already ? :)<
>
> Huh? It's not needed. Sometimes a url gives you a playlist (e.g. asx
> streams) in which case that gets loaded by the playlist loader and
> then played. DVB could do the same if it has a way of reading channel
> info from the signal; I have no idea since I've never seen/used DVB.

No not possible.
Even though probing would be possible it would take way too long(we are
talkingabout hours here) to probe all channels. Info about channels must come from
channels.conf.

--Aapo Tahkola