[MPlayer-G2-dev] Re: Data communication between demuxers and UIs

Fre_ax fre_ax at mbnet.fi
Tue Jan 20 23:01:28 CET 2004

> I see no reason playlists are a "config" item. Rather, a playlist is a
> list of sources and configurations for playing them. Some users of the
> mplayer-g2 core will want to have playlists, but for others it makes
> no sense, or needs to be treated differently, so I'm opposed to
> putting all kinds of playlist nonsense into the core.
So lets rename it to "data layer" and add seperate directory types for
config data
and playlists.
I dont set the rules, by all means code at Gui directory could register
these playlist directories.

> Interesting but this has nothing to do with the config system as we
> know it.
Yes i have realized that this is more about providing from place to place.

> I don't like this whole "directories" thing. It's windowsish, bloated,
> and forces a particular system on the caller which won't be
> appropriate for anything but gui players with playlists.
True but who says the command line interface would need to open this playlist
directory and activate(generate entries in side the directory) this code
at all?Of course these directories wouldnt even exist if user wants no guis.
So you think its nicer to have tens and tens of options without grouping
them atall ?
Yes, defined data types will define the "look" of UIs(including command line
interface) but i dont see why this would be any kind of problem.

what do you mean by bloated exactly?

> I see no reason why you couldn't build something like this on top of
> the G2 architecture (including the existing config system) without
> having to tie all this mess in at a low level where it would be
> annoying to users who don't want it.
Why would one want to keep this system and existing config system seperate ?
Adding new entry type that contains codecs_t or similar structures is no
problem.

I do agree that its useless to implement this system if both dynamic and
static configs(including relevant data communication with these structs)
cannot be handled by extending this system.

I would however want to remind you that this system solves problems with DVB
playlists, dynamic configuration and probably some other things.

--Aapo Tahkola