[MPlayer-G2-dev] dual licensing try 2

xi xizard at enib.fr
Wed Feb 25 23:20:14 CET 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 09:26:56PM +0100, Gabucino wrote:
>
>>>(b) taking legal action against anyone who uses MPlayer code for
>>>proprietary purposes
>>
>>Gosh, Richard, legal action doesn't "just happen" by the Fellow OSS Community!
>>Who is going to support it? You? No offense but you're a Free Software guy, who
>>can't stand the air of a courtroom, so I guess the answer is no.
>

> I expect if MPlayer asks for donations to pay for a lawyer, many many
> users would donate. I'd be happy to work on legal logistics if the
> matter were in my country, but IIRC KISS is somewhere in Europe, so
> one of the Europeans should probably take care of it.

I am following mplayer G2 list since a while and I am quite sad of what
is happening :
Not only kiss has stolen mplayer code, but also kiss is going to divide
mplayer team. Please fight, don't let them win !

Kiss must adapt to free software rules and not the contrary ; if free
sofware don't suit them, then they have to use something else. But
please don't give up.

I am quite sure if you ask for donations, many users will donate.
In the main linux site of my contry ( http://www.linuxfr.org ), there
are two news about the code stolen to mplayer and several people are
agreed to donate mplayer for a lawsuit.
As for the country, AFAIK Hungary is going to join europe soon, so it
should be feasible.

If it wasn't clear enough I won't participate to a project which permit
kiss and other companies to use code without contribution to free sofware.

I hope my message will give a bit of hope. Just ask for donations and I
think you will receive a lot.

Regards,
						Xavier