[MPlayer-G2-dev] dual licensing try 2

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Feb 23 12:16:59 CET 2004

Heyo,

Let's put this stuff here a bit together:

Fact 1:
There are companies that use MPlayer in modified or unmodified
manner w/o releasing their source or giving credits, thus violating
GPL

Fact 2:
If we switch to a dual licensing model that allows companies
to develop closed source software based on mplayer we'll lose
some important developers.

Fact 3:
Developers are the heart of any OSS project.
No active developers, no project.

Fact 4:
This discussion is way too heated and has too many
religous components.

Conclusion 1:
We should resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Conclusion 2:
Switching to a dual license gpl/comercial is out
of question as we'd lose developers.

Conclusion 3:
There can't be any MPlayer foundation or something
that makes money out of MPlayer directly.

Conclusion 4:
MPlayer has to stay either completely gpl or
gpl/lgpl.

Poll 1:
So, we have 2 options:
1) Leave MPlayer GPL
2) Make MPlayer GPL/LGPL

I vote for 1.

			Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu