[MPlayer-G2-dev] dual licensing try 2

Dmitry Baryshkov mitya at school.ioffe.ru
Sun Feb 22 22:58:38 CET 2004

Hello,
On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:52:35PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 06:38:30PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
[skipped]

Arpi, could you please clarify, what do you want to achiev by dual-licensing G2 core:
a lot of money or a better (legal) widespread of G2's core?

If first, then you are on your own. Many people will think, why should
work for giving you money. Even if they won't contribute to core, some
of them won't contribute any.

If second, then probably LGPL is the best. I suppose, it's the LGPL's
target: to provide license for such 'core' libraries as 'G2 core' can be
for media software.

> It's very simple. I am opposed to involvement in any project which
> will result in the increase of non-free software, and I have no
> interest in being involved in a dual-licensed MPlayer.

And don't you think, that even GPL can (and I suppose is) results in
increase of non-free software: any company can use some type of
optimizations/etc. from open-source code. Thay wan't use code (ideally)
they will use ideas from such code. So to stop helping non-free
software, you must stop writing ANY software. Even simple printf("Hello
world!\n"); can help non-free software :)

> Besides, it was already brought up that if non-free licenses are sold
> for only part of MPlayer, then lame proprietary software companies
> will just steal the rest of MPlayer too, and then the core developers
> won't pursue legal action against these companies because they're
> being paid by them. It's a clear conflict of interest.

Here is another point about getting money. What's more important: money
or open source?

> So: drop dual-license, or drop me. It's your choice.

So you should drop people because of some mythic company? In Russian we
say: "A tit in the hands is better than a crave in the sky". I don't
remember English analogue, but you get the point.

Arpi, IMHO good, proven coders are better that mythic companies.
People are always better.

Or maybe companies aren't so mythic? And they simply don't like LGPL :)

--
With best wishes
Dmitry Baryshkov