[MPlayer-G2-dev] dual licensing try 2

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Feb 22 18:38:30 CET 2004

Hi,

Ok, it seems that the codec/filter developers are against dual licensing.
Not a big surprise :)

So, I'm restricting dual license mess to the stream/demuxer layer only.
The audio/video pipeline (including codecs, filters, ao/vo) will remain free.

Why?

Most of the possible licensers are using hardware decoders, so they
don't need the ap/vp stuff anyway. And if they need sw codecs, they
can still buy libdivx and libmad (both are available for commercial
licensing). Maybe i'll even implement a sample program using stream/demux
layers only and libdivx+libmad for decoding (maybe using minimal
fbdev or xv output code for display).

Also, they mostly want to modify stream/demux code only, not the
vp/ap stuff. So they can do their propietrary changes (ie. encrypted
streaming, authentication, pay-per-view, secret fileformat etc) to it
and link the GPL mplayer-g2 to the modified closedsource demuxer lib.
(dunno if GPL really allows linking of closedsource libs, but if it isnt
then we're already in trouble with codec DLLs, libdivx and others)

As you refusers (Michael, Rich) don't develop demuxers anyway, it
shouldn't hurt you. It may hurt Albeu, but who cares? :) (sorry)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu