[MPlayer-G2-dev] slices

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Feb 20 23:37:23 CET 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 06:28:27PM +0200, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> And final words to dalias.
> I'm not sure how L2 cache works, but the CPU cache is always separated on
> instruction and data cache. So you cannot polute code by data and vise
> versa. This is so from the first Pentium and probably for 486 too (if they
> have cache at all;)

Yes, but if you run too many filters, the _decoder_ instructions will
no longer be in the instruction cache/branch prediction. Thus the next
slice will be decoded very slowly! This is bad...

> And about OSD and timer. We actually don't need astronomicat time to
> display the PTS is enough. I even have HDTV samples that start from  8:30
> oclock ;)
> The real problem are the user events. And thats why I want a frame rebuild
> mechanism in my vo3.

Frame rebuild is slow and bloated, especially if you used it for
correcting osd data on misordered frames...

Rich