[MPlayer-G2-dev] transcode filters

Wed Apr 21 10:16:16 CEST 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, D Richard Felker III wrote:

DRFI>> > > > > decimate - NTSC decimation in pure software
DRFI>> > > >
DRFI>> > > > What is NTSC decimation?
DRFI>> > >
DRFI>> > > Removal of duplicate frames. Made as a part of the inverse telecine
DRFI>> > > process. MPlayer seems to have the whole process in one big whopping
DRFI>
DRFI>Inverse telecine does not naturally make duplicate frames. We didn't
DRFI>"hide" the decimation process inside the inverse telecine filters;
DRFI>it's simply not happening.
DRFI>
DRFI>> > > filter (ivtc or detc); but heck, what if I need this stuff for other
DRFI>> > > purposes?
DRFI>> >
DRFI>> > there is such filter for duplicate (very similar) frame removal
DRFI>>
DRFI>> I have not found it, but it's probably just me.
DRFI>
DRFI>It's called *gasp* decimate!

You are a little wrong here. Sure, since you never tried those filters
in transcode you might think so, but the following sequence of filters
-J ivtc,32detect=force_mode=3,decimate

in transcode has no working alternative in mplayer. I tried a lot, but
found nothing. decimate filter in mplayer is different, that's all. I
ended up using transcode <for this singe dvd - I don't like it too, for
its horrible command line interface> for encoding dvd to avi with ffv1
codec and then recompressing it to mpeg4 using mplayer.

Yes, ivtc filters in mplayer are overally better. But _there are_ cases
when transcode gives desired result and mplayer doesn't.

smartdeint is another very good ported from vdub filter (that's why it
is working in rgb, and smartyuv was made afterwards as "special yuv
version for transcode") that imho is the best deinterlacer. It's a shame
it isn't present in mplayer, but I haven't looked at kerndeint yet. I
hope it is just ported smartdeint with stupid name, not something
written from scratch...

Also, for filters like this transcode can be used in yuv mode, so there
is no extra colorspace conversion.

--

Vladimir