[MPlayer-G2-dev] Native codecs and g2

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Sep 23 23:47:17 CEST 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:49:13PM +0200, Roberto Togni wrote:
> Any news about codecs in g2?
>
> Some time ago A'rpi was thinking about moving to a get/release buffer
> method instead of get_image/mpi as g1. At the end, IIRC, he said he's
> going to stay with mpi.
> It is a final decision or it's still a work in progress item?

Read my recent vf proposals. IMO we much switch to get/release buffer
rather than the g1-style system; otherwise G2 will suck and won't be
able to do any DR with new multi-reference-frame codecs or temporal
filters.

> I was thinking about moving most of the native codecs from libmpcodecs
> to ffmpeg/libavcodec since a long time.
> This could be the right time to do it, and it's even more true if
> codecs have to be modified to be used in g2.

Agree.

> The codecs i'm thinking about are old QT codecs (rle, rpza, smc,
> 8bps, ...) and old vfw codecs (Cinepak, cvid, msrle, ...), but probably
> every native codec can be moved (lcl and lzo depends on external libs,
> i have to check how ffmpeg handles it).

IMO fix the external lib dependencies (i.e. remove them :).

> Some codecs are already available in libavcodec, even if MPlayer uses
> its own version (various adpcm audio codecs, cyuv, realaudio 1.0 and
> 2.0, and probably others i don't remember now).
>
> Pro: less code to port and mantain, more people will be able to use
> them and fix bugs
> Cons: MPlayer without libavcodec will be unable to play most files
> (unless you use binary codecs), but i think that using MPlayer without
> libavcodec is not a wise choice even now.

IMO this is not a con. :)

Rich