[MPlayer-G2-dev] MID proposal

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Sat Nov 1 22:22:31 CET 2003

D Richard Felker III said:
> On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 10:03:08PM +0200, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
>> OK, I am constanly pointing the good side of XvImage
>> here is the structure, it is quite clear and quite overloaded,
>> strip it ;)
>> And don't worry, you wont become blind if you see it (once:)
>
> Most MPlayer developers are already quite aware that stories about
> going blind from seeing stuff are just myths...
>
>> typedef struct {
[snip]
>> } XvImageFormatValues;
>>
>> OK here are my points:
>> 1. merge some strucures so we wont' have different structures for
>> different formats (yuv,rgb)
>
> Yes, XvImageFormat is very ugly!
>
>> 2. _period and sample_bits could be in array.
>> 3. samplebits is good for and e.g. RGB, but we will need and shift
>> bits(e.g.
>> BGR565 B<<10 G <5 R<0 and G=g>>(8-samplebits[g_ofs])
>
> Yes, we already know this.. :)
>
>> 4. component_order is nice idea. but donno how nv12 will be described;)
>> I had the idea to have recursive modes, but it will be too complicated.
>
> Yes definitely too complicated!
> IMO nv12 is handled just like fully planar modes. Default order is
> U,V; set the "swapped" flag if it's opposite.
Ok i got another idea, just in for the protocol, probably
it is too complicated to be used for something else than
learning formats. The basic is that in the plane cannot have
another plane format, so it can be only packed format.

e.g. for some imagine format
we have num_planes=3
plane 0 (bytes) - Y(bits=8, shift=0)
plane 1 (words) - U (bits=3, shift=5), V(bits=3, shift=2),
None(bits=2,shift=0)
plane 1 (bytes) - A (bits=8,shift=0)

>> 5. rgb mask are good to have, some (sdl) releay on them
>
> Useless. You can generate them from sizes/offsets, and SDL sucks. IMO
> SDL shouldn't even be supported in G2 since there's no way to support
> it correctly, and since MPlayer's native drivers already support a lot
> more than SDL anyway.
Agree.

Best Regards
   Ivan Kalvachev