[MPlayer-G2-dev] MID proposal

Alex Beregszaszi alex at fsn.hu
Sat Nov 1 20:14:21 CET 2003

Hi,

> > MID {
> > imgfmt (?)
>
> Rename to fourcc.
Why?

We could create a new list of format fourccs which could indicate only
one format described by MID, but the imgfmt is the ancient fourcc.

> > type (rgb or yuv)
>
> Rename to colorspace or something.
See the mail from Arpi.

> > bpp
> > depth
>
> What is the point of depth? How is it defined?
Depth is the number of bits used for describe a pixel, bpp means the
bytes which are used to store a pixel. RGB24 has depth=24 but can have
both bpp=24 and bpp=32.

> > chroma_x_shift
> > chroma_y_shift
>
> I always found these names excessively verbose to type when writing
> filters. Any better ideas?
See my other mail (cr_h/v)

> > fields (interlacing)
>
> Hm? Does this just tell if the image is interlaced, or does it contain
> other flags about the interlacing format?
If we leave it in MID it could contain more flags. Dunno if it should be
present or not.

[snip]
> The whole width, height, x, y, w, h system is nonsense. x,y are never
> used and not even supported. They're much better handled by just
> adjusting the actual pointers. Also lots of filters don't understand
> the difference between w and width, which is very silly to begin with.
Imho it has sense, but lot of filter/vo writers are dumb and can't make
difference.

Width/height defines the dimensions of the whole image pointed by MPI.
x,y,w,h descibre a rectangle of which part of the image should be drawn.

Yes, there are two ways: only pass a MPI with the actual image, but that
would still need x,y to be defined to place it correctly on the screen.
The other way is to leave our current scheme and fix the filters. Imho
this is a better approach.

Probably you will ask about the sense of this whole partial mpi stuff:
it has not much sense currently, but we could have some filters/decoders
which will support partial decoding / filtering.

--
Alex Beregszaszi <alex at fsn.hu>
(MPlayer Core Developer -- http://www.mplayerhq.hu/)