[MPlayer-G2-dev] MID proposal

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Nov 1 18:17:42 CET 2003

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 04:38:14PM +0100, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's my idea of a IMGFMT replacement: MID stands for MPlayer Image
> Description.
>
> MID {
> imgfmt (?)
> type (rgb or yuv)
> bpp
> depth
> chroma_x_shift
> chroma_y_shift
> num_planes (>1 -> planar)
> fields (interlacing)
> }
>
> MPI {
> mid
> flags
> type
> width, height
> x,y,w,h
> planes
> stride
> }
>
> The advantage of this is that it would be safe to change query_format to
> the following: query_format(vo_instance, mid, width, height) and other
> apperances of complicated imgfmt usage, it would reduce code.

I agree something like this is _definitely_ desirable. Having a switch
statement in query_format where you have to list every single planar
format is idiotic...

As for the specifics, I'm not sure it's complete. IMO there should
more than just num_planes, but a way to specify
packed(yuy2)/planar(yv12)/semiplanar(nv12)... Maybe 1/3/2 planes is
a suitable way to identify this...? From my perspective, the main info
filters need is just the type of planar layout; beyond that, most
filter's don't care about the specifics.

Rich