[MPlayer-G2-dev] Re: g2 config - restart...

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu May 15 11:33:36 CEST 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:36:42AM +0200, Alban Bedel wrote:
> > What do you mean, sorry? I meant if we have that type of subconfig then
> > suboptions of that option don't have to have names - it will be checked
> > by parser and don't produce an error. Regular subconfigs have no rights
> > to have unnamed suboptions (for example, "-info Me:NewFilm" is nonsence
> > at least).
>
> These unamed list come from G1 vf where each filter had to parse his
> options himself. So Arpi used this simple way in the firsts filters
> and it stuck. These unamed list just imply that you know the order of
> the suboptions. -info Me:NewFilm make sense if i know that the first
> field is author and the second one title.
> See -vf in G1, you can write '-vf filter=100:width=500:45' where 100
> is the value for the first field, as width is the 12 field i name it
> to avoid entering the defaults of the first 11 fields and 45 is
> the value for the second field for wich i don't give the name bcs
> i'm lazy ;)
> This is what i mean with mixing named and unamed suboptions it's
> really possible and nice for lazy power users.

Agree, we should keep this. The whole point of being a power user is
that your power lets you be lazy... :)))

Seriously, tho, I like this stuff. Quite the opposite of bloat like
XML (and EBML, lol! What does it stand for again? Extra Bloated Movie
Language? :)) where you have to write 200 bytes of filler junk to
select one or two simple options.

Rich