[MPlayer-G2-dev] Re: g2 config - restart...

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Wed May 14 22:28:51 CEST 2003

    Hi, Arpi!

Sometime (on Wednesday, May 14 at 22:51) I've received something...
>> > // string as list - must be obsoleted to CONF_TYPE_LIST
>> >   CONF_TYPE_STRING_LIST,
>> Obsolated stuff in a draft ??????

>I can't see why is string list is obsolete? It's a good thing and is used a
>lot by g1 and in g2 too.

CONF_TYPE_STRING_LIST is just a string with commas so it cannot let any
hints (for Gui or for help) what are choises to add to selection. So I've
added CONF_TYPE_LIST as some kind of subconfig - it's more powerful and
flexible than string-type list.

>> > // function		cfg_func*	-	-	revert-cfg_func*
>> >   CONF_TYPE_FUNC,
>> >   CONF_TYPE_FUNC_PARAM,
>> >   CONF_TYPE_FUNC_FULL,
>> I think we should avoid callback based stuff. These were nice in the
>> old days for very specific stuff. But now the only place in G1 where
>> they are really needed is for the -aa* options of aalib. But as in G2
>> each module instance have it's own context it doesn't really make
>> sense as options parsing append before instanciation.
>> For options global to a layer that would make some sense but then the
>> callback also need to get the struct/context on wich it should
>> operate. So this context should be static otherwise you can't put
>> it in the config_t->priv field. But we don't want static stuff so
>> for G2 lib that's anyway completly unusefull.
>> We may let that for app level stuff but i doubt it's really usefull.

>it's usefull. think of an external plugin (wirtten by third party) which
>requires special parsing for some parameters. Ok, they could receive string
>and do parsing at open(), but implementing a parsing function is better, as
>the UI can notice syntax errors before getting to open().

>but imho we don't need 3 of them, only one such type is enough.
>but we should define how to pass struct offset/pointer and number of args.

Agree.

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.